If you have applied for and received Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), you may be allowed to travel outside the U.S. and return legally. Advance Parole makes it possible for you to leave the U.S. without losing your DACA status. This possibility is not risk-free and with the proper legal support you may be allowed to successfully travel outside the U.S.

What Is Advance Parole?

Advance Parole is also known as travel permission and is an option that someone with DACA may apply for based on humanitarian, educational, or career-related reasons. If granted, it allows DACA recipients to travel outside of and safely return to the U.S. This allows some people who originally entered the U.S. many years ago without inspection to then qualify to obtain a green card, for example if they are married to a U.S. citizen. It may also allow some DACA recipients to safely attend their green card interview overseas, without triggering the 3- or 10-year bars.

Who Is Eligible To Apply For Advance Parole As A DACA Recipient?

Simply wanting to take a vacation is not enough to qualify DACA recipients for an Advance Parole travel document. You will need to show not only that you have been approved for DACA, but that you have a reason for traveling, either for:

Urgent humanitarian purposes, which include medical assistance, to attend a family member’s funeral, visiting a sick relative, or some other urgent family — related matter

Educational purposes, including taking part in a study abroad program or doing academic research, or

Employment purposes, including overseas assignments or client meetings, interviews, conferences, training, and travel needed to pursue a job with a foreign employer in the United States. 

Who Can Apply? 


Anyone who has been granted DACA can apply for advance parole but we highly encourage people to seek legal assistance before applying. CUNY students can receive free application assistance through CUNY Citizenship Now! For an appointment or any questions, please email citizenshipnowinfo@cuny.edu or call (212) 652-2055.

How can DACA Recipients Study Abroad with Advance Parole? 


If USCIS approves you for Advance Parole, they will send you a document, known as Form I-512L, Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States. This form is extremely important if you are interested in studying Abroad because it contains the last date when you have return to the U.S. This potentially determines your availability to study abroad because some study abroad programs may required your full commitment and if you overstay your advance parole, you are risking re-enter to the U.S. past that date. 


Primary Steps To Follow: 

  1. Identify a study abroad program; use the Study Abroad Program Directory

  2. Complete and submit your study abroad application; make sure you have all documents

  3. Contact a lawyer to apply for advance parole; CUNY students can contact CUNY Citizenship Now! at citizenshipnowinfo@cuny.edu or call (212) 652-2055.

  4. Seek for scholarships or begin fundraising as your trip will be pricey 

This webinar is for non-immigration lawyers, community organizers, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients, and others who would like to learn about how DACA recipients can travel abroad.   We will explain who is eligible to apply for permission to travel abroad using advance parole, legal issues to consider, how to apply for advance parole, travel logistics, and the post-travel impact on certain immigration benefits. 

  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Grey Facebook Icon

We are the first CUNY-wide student-led organization regardless of legal status that represents the needs and aspirations of undocumented students in The City University of New York. CUNY DREAMers’s mission is to build a network of support to help with the college retention and successful graduation of undocumented students. 


© 2017 by CUNY DREAMers